Rigid Mailer Solution
High-speed inserting for rigid and bubble mailpieces
Bell and Howell has developed a solution for automating the inserting of documents into chipboard mailers, such as FedEx, UPS and USPS® envelopes. This solution allows mailers to take advantage of labor savings and, in the case of the USPS Express Mail® and Critical Mail™, low postage rates. When your application requires a tight production window and contains high-value information, this is the best automated solution on the market.
The Bell and Howell Rigid Mailer solution allows mailers to virtually eliminate the need for manual labor to hand stuff these envelopes and the inevitable errors inherent to manual processes. Bell and Howell customers have replaced a manual process requiring 4-5 people utilizing Bell and Howell’s Rigid Mailer Solution to process the same application.
Our system can insert varying-thickness documents and multiple pieces into the rigid mailer or bubble envelope, seal each with hot-melt glue and print and apply a shipping label or, in the case of bubble mailers, print directly onto the outside of the envelope. Using a specially developed PC-based control system, we provide a networked connectivity between the existing shipping label preparation infrastructure and the inserter in order to enable job downloads and control matching and printing functions.
Bell and Howell JETVision® technology is used to read and track data, including tracking codes, which are assigned to the piece in advance of inserting. JETVision integrity checks ensure that the document and mailpieces are finished accurately. Once the mailpiece is complete, JETVision notifies the carrier that the piece is ready for pickup.
- Closed-face or windowed 6” x 9” to 10” x 13” chipboard envelope for overnight carrier
- Label for envelope, printed and applied to outside of mailpiece or printing directly on the outside of the envelope
- Apply glue and close flap of chipboard envelope
- Use information read from the document or pieces to look-up print information
- Print label or envelope with correct delivery information
- If using labels, apply to chipboard envelope
- Read printed information to ensure quality and validate expected delivery information
- Deliver finished chipboard envelope to output conveyorconnectivity between the existing shipping label preparation infrastructure and the inserter in order to enable job downloads and control matching and printing functions.
This solution is ideal for mailers who:
- Issue replacement credit cards where high integrity is vital
- Send high-value direct mail – chipboard mailer envelopes have a high open rate, ensuring that the recipient will see the offering, and enabling a much higher response rate
- Postage costs for new Critical Mail from the USPS can reduce total cost of production and distribution
- Mail small catalogs, such as university curriculum circulars
Our solution can insert up to 6,500 envelopes per hour. Completed package throughputs can average 2,000 to 6,000 envelopes per hour, depending on the application.